Collecting from deceased spouse's social security?

by Mary
(New York)

I am 65 and still working. Can I collect social security from my deceased husband now and then collect from my own social security when i stop working at 68?

Wendy's reply: Interesting question, and I can't find an answer online at the Social Security website. I've looked and looked... I'm sure its there somewhere!

You can call the Social Security toll-free service at 1-800-772-1213 and schedule an appointment (by phone or in person). Then they can look at your specific record (and his) and tell you the best way for you. They really DO look at what's best for you...

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Social Security.