Social security and exempt income

by Linda

I will start receiving my SS in a year. I am currently my husband’s paid caregiver. In Oregon, he receives a benefit through the state because he’s on Medicaid, to pay for a caregiver of his choosing. He chose me.

However, because I’m his spouse and live in the same home as him, I do not have to claim what he pays me as income. It shows up nowhere...I don’t get a W2 form, and am considered exempt from taxation.

When I start Social Security, and continue my “job” as his caregiver, do I have to tell SS about this income? I realize you’re only allowed to earn so much before SS holds some money back, but what if they don’t know about it through common sources?

Comments for Social security and exempt income

Click here to add your own comments

Consult Social Security
by: Wendy, retirement enthusiast/coach


Go to the Source: Social Security.

Your question is complex. Best to talk to the people who can look at your record and give you the best answer.

Social Security does not publish the phone numbers of local offices. You can call them toll-free at:

1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778)

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Retirement Questions/Answers.